Cold Mix Asphalt (CMA)
All States Materials Group’s cold mix asphalt is a high quality, flexible and durable paving material. At All States, we have had over 25 years of experience of formulating, manufacturing, and using emulsified asphalt in construction. Our researchers and technicians are constantly improving our formulations to give better controlled curing, better adhesion to aggregates, and higher quality, more durable cold mixes. The aggregates must have the volumetric properties to give structural strength on the pavement. Stockpiled patch mixes must remain workable throughout the year. We manufacture cold mix asphalt in a pugmill which blends our water-based asphalt emulsions with aggregates according to the laboratory designed job mix formula. The cold mixes may be manufactured at a central location or the pugmill may be moved to your site. The aggregates may be virgin, or reclaimed asphalt pavement (asphalt millings) may be used to produce a low cost paving material. Our experienced crews keep our plants, terminals and production methods in top condition, and they run strict quality control on all our products. Our cold mix design and quality control testing by dedicated professionals make sure that you are satisfied with the quality of our cold mix materials. We continuously improve our products. With today’s technologies and a good design, cold mix asphalt can be as strong and durable as hot mix asphalt.
Benefits of All States Materials Group’s Cold Mix Asphalt
- Flexible but strong pavement materials resistant to rutting, cracking and moisture damage
- Smooth and quiet riding surfaces
- Can be mixed at a central plant or on-site in portable plants at remote locations
- Cold mix asphalt minimizes transportation and material costs
- Eco-friendly water-based materials used at ambient temperatures reduce emissions, fumes and energy needs
- Can be easily recycled and maintained
- Cost-effective paving for upgrading rural roads far from a hot mix plant
- Stockpile patch mixes remain workable all year for pothole patching as needed
- Strict quality control
- Cost-effective, versatile paving materials for remote areas and pothole patching
Cold Mix Asphalt Uses
Asphalt emulsion mixes are very versatile in the field. They allow economical paving in remote areas and they make winter patching of potholes easy. The mixes may be used for base, binder, leveling or top courses or structural overlays. The resiliency of cold mix products to self-heal with movement from freeze-thaw cycles makes them ideal for thin pavements on non-engineered roads. Cold mixes should be applied to surfaces that are prepared with any debris cleaned off and compaction and/or grading as needed. Stockpile patch mixes may crust over with time, but a shovel should be able to easily break through the crust to the workable mix. Tarping may be helpful. Potholes should be cleaned and relatively dry before filling with cold patch mix. Contact us for more information about how our emulsion mixes can help upgrade your road network.